Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Treehouse Magic

No April Fools' pranks here - just a quick art update!

Here's a digital painting I did a few weeks ago. (You may also recognize it from the new banner at the top of the blog.)




I know this isn't the best painting in the world, but when I finished it, I felt a great sense of accomplishment. It was almost exactly two years ago when I saw some random guy's blog post with a digital painting he'd done and said to myself, "I have to learn how to do that." It wasn't like one of those offhand thoughts you have when you look at a singer or a dancer and think "Wow, I wish I could do that..." It was a life-changing shift in my mindset and goals: I must learn this.

Of course, the farther I come, the more I realize how far I have to go, as is always the case with learning any craft. But I let myself feel good about it for an hour or two.

Here's my Digital Painting teacher's paintover.


This might be sacrilege to say, but I actually don't like one thing about it - the change of the light from within the cabin from purple to red. I really liked the contrast of the purple light to the green forest. But the composition is obviously much stronger, and the other changes to color and light are spot on. Much to learn still...

© Gina Florio 2014

3 comments:

  1. Go Gina! It's funny how when we get to the point that seemed impossible not that long ago, it doesn't feel like a big deal anymore, but still feels good for 5 minutes or so?

    Congrats on the painting: it's beautiful and it's a giant step in the right direction!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yours is awesome! I agree with you about the purple light in the cabin. With the drawover, I think the biggest change is texture. It's something I struggle to include in my own digital paintings. The added depth to the bark where light hits it, etc. There's also the added lines that force attention to where you'd want it - the light and bridge both drawing your attention to the girl, while the bridge and light then lead your eye to the cabin, where the girl's attention is focused.

    I think what I love about yours is the girl's obvious sense of accomplishment, how confident she is. She looks like an adventurer or explorer, pausing for a moment to take in the end of her most recent trek.

    Very awesome, Gina! Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The treehouse manufacturers are both experimental and experienced, wish expertise in tree types, capabilities and environmental impact.
    cool tree houses

    ReplyDelete